There are times when CentreStack admins need to move the CentreStack installation to another server for one reason or another. It is crucial that proper procedure and steps are taken to move the installation to a new server.
CentreStack installation consists of persistent and non-persistent data. CentreStack database contains persistent/static information such as the username, email, storage configuration, files and folders sharing information and others. It is recommended the SQL Server has daily backups since it contains configuration information for the service to run properly. The database is a critical component for the smooth operation of the CentreStack server farm. Local database with latency less than 10 milliseconds is recommended.
There are two pieces of persistent information:
- SQL Database
To move the Centrestack installation to a new server:
- If your database is already on a separate server and you don't need to move it, skip the step. If you need to move the database, please follow step 1 to 6 on the article here, to export/import the data on the new server.
- If your backend Storage is on cloud, or you don't need to change the backend storage, skip the step. If you need to move the backend storage, copy everything from old location to the new location. It is preferred to copy the data to the same drive\path on the new server.
- Install Centrestack on the new server. When prompt for database, choose to use the existing database. Type in the DB connection information defined in step 1. After the installation, reboot.
- After reboot, login to cluster admin. It will prompt you to configure the new worker node. Make sure the external URL is defined correctly
- In Cluster Admin, go to Cluster Server Farm/Cluster Worker Nodes, delete the old worker node
- If you have copied the backend storage data and the new location is different from the old location (for example, the new folder is under a different drive/path, or on a different share), go to Tenant Manager and edit existing default storage for all tenants affected. If the data is copied to exactly the same location (same drive/path) on the new server, skip the step
- Change your DNS to point to the new server
Now Centrestack is moved to the new server. You can test web portal and native clients operations.