The Mac Client saves high-level log files (with few details) in a folder called "trace" under the user's Home directory on the Mac. Tracing with a higher level of details is not enabled by default because the logs can grow quickly in size and waste valuable computer resources.
Furthermore, if you experience problems with the Mac Client, you will need to enable tracing and perform the exact steps that lead to the problem (aka. reproduce the problem) in order to capture meaningful debugging data in real-time. The ability to enable tracing is a feature that was introduced with version 9.3.40725 of the Mac Client. If you have a lower version, please upgrade your Mac Client first.
To enable tracing, follow these steps:
- Shut down the Mac Client.
- Open the Cloud Drive's "trace" folder on the Mac. Press command+shift+h to open a Finder window with your Home directory in view. Click on the "gladinet" folder and then open the "trace" folder. Make sure the Mac Client has stopped generating trace files.
- Open Terminal and run the following commands, to create a file 'trace' under $HOME\gladinet\trace folder
- cd $HOME/gladinet/trace
- echo "enable trace" > trace
- Restart the Mac Client by clicking on its shortcut from your Mac's Applications folder (command+shift+a). Make sure a new trace file is now being generated in the trace folder. The file will be named "traceyyyy-mm-dd hh mm ss", where the letters are the components of the current date and time.
- Now reproduce the problem. Please take full-screen screenshots of the windows, folders, and files, and error messages involved in the process (command+shift+3). The developers will need to look for those specific files/folders in the logs, so this is an important step.
- Email the screenshots and the most recent trace file (with the date in the name) to email@example.com (or reply to your existing support ticket). If the files are larger than 6MB, please contact us for an upload link, otherwise the attachments may get blocked by the email system.
- Now you can throw away the simple trace file that you created with TextEdit from the ~/gladinet/trace folder and restart the Mac Client in order disable tracing.